Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Life Lesson for This Week: Real Life vs.Discipline

This week went well. Monday thru Thursday I stuck to my food plan or at least made adjustments that were the same calories if not the best food choices. For instance, Thursday we had perch. Fried perch is one of our favorite meals. I bake all the other fish we eat and I’ve tried baking perch. It was not good. We only do it once or twice a month and that’s the only thing I cook that’s fried. It’s worth it. I just planed my day’s calories accordingly, not just for the calories, but also the fats. I also made sure I had a really good work out. If I plan it out, it can still be healthy.
So all week I was disciplined, worked out hard, even when I didn’t want to.

Here is where real life steps in. Last night I went to a concert at Rockin’ on the River (weekly outdoor festival) because a friend was playing. He started at 6 so I would have no time to eat between work and the concert. I knew that I would not be able to resist having a hot dog and a beer, so I planned the days menu around that and packed some carrots in my purse so that I could have one healthy thing at the show and I would feel full. Feeling full would help me stay away from the funnel cakes and fries.
A bunch of us started dancing up front after I had finished my hot dog, carrots, and beer. After we had been up there a while someone brought me another beer. What I really wanted was water. However, being very thirsty I drank the beer. (I should have stopped dancing and got my own water instead) One of my friends finally went and got us all water. We danced through most of the show. I would say I danced for at least 45 minutes and I never stopped. It truly was like an aerobic workout. After the show I was very hot, thirsty, and my muscles were crying out for water and carbs. I went and got 16 ounces of water and drank it, then refilled the bottle at the drinking fountain. I was really hungry. Popcorn is one of my better standbys at these festivals. Unfortunately all they had was kettle corn and the smallest bag was really big. Some one was handing out samples of something in lunch size paper bags. I went and got one, took out the samples and poured enough popcorn to fill the bag. I gave the big bag to the rest of the girls because they were all hungry too (and young and skinny). This was my solution for not eating the whole big bag (because I totally could have).

I was worried I had really gone over my calorie limit so when I got home I plugged in my activity from dancing and my extra carbs from the second beer and the popcorn. As it turned out, all that dancing raised my calorie burn so much that even with the extra calories I was still well within my calorie deficit range. With the added activity I actually needed those extra calories. Was my nutrition analyses good? Not particularly, but my fats were not past what is my highest allowed.

This experience taught me two things:
I can survive a carnival or any other ‘away from home real life situation’ by making the best choices available and limiting my portions. Adding extra activity was also very important.
The other thing I learned is to pack a little more carbs, just in case. If I had packed my multi grain crackers I would have had good carbs, because of the added fiber, and a lot less sugar.

Even with real life thrown in I managed to keep my calorie deficit within range for every day this week. I have good hopes for my weekly weigh in. I usually do my weigh in on Saturday, but because it was so hot last night and I drank that beer, I know I am retaining water. So I’m going to drink a lot of water today and weigh in tomorrow. I’ll post the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment