Friday, July 17, 2009

Set Backs

In looking at my weight loss chart, I can see how much I lost momentum leading up to and after the holiday weekend.
One of the things I like about the Calorie Count site is that I have a food and activity log I can look through going all the way back to when I started using it.
What I see is that I’ve been doing a lot of trade offs and trying to drop my calories to make up for days I messed up. That is obviously not working. Over the last three weeks I can see my sugars, starches, and bad fats going steadily up. Because I stalled out I decreased calories below what I should have and I stopped burning all together. Not enough calories causes the metabolism to slow and the body to hold fat.
Then during the July 4th picnic, despite all of my efforts I went hog wild on sugar. Once I started, it was like I was possessed. It wasn’t anything like; “Well I’ve blown it now. Might as well enjoy it.” No. There were no rationalizations, just absolute, all out gorging on my favorite drug. I had some carrot cake and two kinds of pie, plus two slices of lemon pound cake. When my old familiar friend the sugar rush hit, I almost hit the floor. As it turns out the damage done to my diet wasn’t near as bad as the damage done to me in general. My blood sugar went crazy. I had terrible cravings for days and I was a horrible bitch for a week and a half. It made my cycle really awful as well.
I went right back to my low sugar diet and I’m doing much better. I have stopped the trade offs for a while. I might try it again but a little wiser than before.
I also now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sugar is BAAAAAAAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment